Do you need to store your car (or any vehicle for that matter) for a short duration or an extended period of time? You may want to perform some of these simple tips and tricks before taking it to a car storage facility. The following simple steps can save you time, money and a few headaches along the way:
Car storage – tips and tricks
- Clean your car (external) – You may not think this is important since you’re car is protected whilst in storage. That said, leaving road dirt, grease, oil and bird droppings on your vehicle can cause damage to your paint and chrome. Even if you are planning on using a cover when storing the vehicle in a storage facility it’s best to clean it first. Our facility is first class when it comes to cleanliness and so once done at the beginning of your storage, you shouldn’t need to do it again!
- Oil change – If you plan on storing your car for 30 days or more, it’s a good idea to change the oil before doing so. Contaminants in your car’s engine can cause internal damage when sitting for extended periods of time. In addition to your oil, placing your car in a storage facility with a half empty tank of gas can allow for condensation to build up and deteriorate your fuel. Filling it up and adding a fuel stabilizer will help prevent this from happening when long term storage is necessary.
- Basic maintenance – If your storage is for a long period of time, you should organise for someone to do some basic maintenance for you. Not because your car misses you, but for the purpose of keeping your battery charged and your tires inflated and avoiding flat spots on them. Starting your car every 30 days or so and taking it for a spin will keep your car in tip top shape. If you can’t make it by to give it a start and a ride, you can also remove the ground cable from the battery to avoid draining.
- Insurance – Keep your car insurance in full effect while keeping your car in the self-storage facility. If it’s worth storing, it’s worth insuring. Not doing this could cause an increase your rates down the road by not having coverage in place continuously. It also makes sense if you plan on driving it from time to time or having someone else do it for you to keep the battery and tires healthy. And whilst we take every care, it’s always possible that some insured event might occur. If you have insurance you won’t at least be out of pocket. Please note we don’t offer car insurance as it’s a specialised insurance – please call your insurance broker.
- Clean your car (internal) – Cleanliness isn’t only for the exterior of your car. Make sure you clean out the interior of your vehicle before placing it into long term storage. There’s nothing worse than picking up your car after you left food in it for a month or two. Besides a ripe smell, you could have visitors in the form of insects and rodents that make their way in to take advantage of the food you left behind.
As with everything we do we know price is important. You can check out our live pricing for car storage here .
Last but not least…
TAXIBOX’s self storage at 275 Boundary Road Mordialloc in Melbourne has a dedicated space for car storage as well as individual units if you really want the ultimate package. We offer basic maintenance including keeping your battery charged and your tyres pumped. That’s just some of the reasons we’ve got all sorts of cars stored with us today, not many spaces left and hundreds of five star reviews. We store cars from all over Melbourne including but not limited to: Braeside, Beaumaris, Cheltenham, Mentone, Mordialloc, Sandringham, Caulfield, Balaclava, Brighton and more. To find out more click here or call us on 1300 95-66-44.